Syllabus of Examination for Proficiency in Apiculture:
Senior Examination Microscopy
Microscopy Dissection and Pollen Analysis
Candidates will be required to discuss and demonstrate:
The construction, components and setting up of:
- A stereo dissecting microscope
- A compound microscope
- The calibration of an eyepiece graticule. The candidate must be able to measure a microscopic object.
- The examination of a sample of bees for Acarine (Acarapis Woodii)
- The process of making slides for:
- Pollen analysis
- The detection of:
- Nosema and Amoeba
- Foul brood bacterial diseases (AFB and EFB)
- The discussion will include the reason why a particular magnification is required for each examination.
- The significance of what is apparent under the microscope.
- The statistical significance of the sample size, and the significance of confidence limits.
- Discuss the relevant licensed treatments for all the diseases examined.
- The preparation of honey bee parts for microscopical examination.
- The appearance and signs of Parasitic Mite Syndrome in a brood frame.
- The appearance and signs of all brood disorders.